Saturday, March 3, 2012

Mark's IT Band! Back again!

Throughout the winter, I've been dealing with a nagging iliotibial (aka IT) band issue that has randomly been flaring up. It started back in early December, and has gone through a random cycle of going away and reappearing for the last few months.  Last week, I put in a little more run volume than I originally intended, and began experiencing some pain midrun on my long run Sunday.  To make matters worse, the long run Sunday turned even longer due to a wrong turn, and tacked on an extra 3 miles.

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.v2.html

Usually the pain from IT Band Syndrome, as it's called, is focused more around the knee in runners.  For me, it's strictly at my hip.  And I'm guessing it stems from 2 causes:  Increasing my run volume and intensity a bit too fast, and some biomechanical problems.

As I've noted before HERE, I've been more aware of my stride and foot placement while running. This winter, I focused more on a quicker turnover or cadence, and transitioned to more of a midfoot strike (as opposed to my previously massive heelstrike).  With the focus on my turnover and foot strike, I neglected some of the strengthening exercises this winter.  During runs, I've noticed more inward rotation of my leg.  I tend to also overpronate a bit, which only adds tension to my IT band.  I had a good set of exercises that were given to me by PT friends that really seemed to help, when I did them...  If my symptoms weren't present, I didn't do the exercises.

Presently, the pain has never been worse.  And it increased fairly quickly.  After Sunday's run, I have been icing it consistently, toning down the run volume and mile repeats, and increased my stretching.  But to no avail.

Honestly, I feel pretty stupid and wonder if this could have been avoided.  Had I kept up with the strength and stretching exercises, I'm sure I wouldn't be sitting here in pain.  I hope I now have learned a lesson, and will keep up with the strength exercises.

To make matters worse, my first race of 2012 is exactly a week from today, the Westport St Patty's Day 4 Mile Run.


Right now, I'm just hoping I can hobble through the 4 mile course, let alone race it.  Rach is also running, and it would be fun to run with her, but I would prefer to let it rip... I foresee lot's of foam rolling, stretching, and icing in my future. Sadly, I'm sure the running will drop off a bit.

So from the looks of it, the 2012 racing season is going to be off to a very slow start (literally).  But hopefully I can get this injury under control and make up for it in other races!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

ScottyB said...

Have a great race! Wish I could "run" it with you!