Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A weekend to remember!

The last few weeks have been crazy!  Training has taken some substantial time and energy, but for the first time this year, my 'life' has played a bigger role in 'staying busy'.


The past 2 weekends, I've attended 2 graduations:  Rach's and my own.

I had so much fun at both, and became even more aware of how lucky I am to have incredible people in my life.  I once read that accomplishments mean nothing if you have no one to share them with.  Needless to say, this won't be a problem for me (now I just need to keep accomplishing stuff...)!

Rach is such a smartie pants!
And no, that's not my 'ear ring'

Getting my hood, yo!

Getting ready to walk down the Hill!

Inside the KU Campanile!

On the football field!

I ran a 4.4 40 yard dash!

Training
I am currently in my last training cycle for the Kansas Half Ironman in June, with my taper starting in a few weeks.  Training has been going pretty fantastic, and I'm finally seeing some speed come back on the run.  In the last 10 days, I've had 2 50+ mi rides, a 56 mi ride + 6 mi run brick workout (the longest I've ever done), a straight 2500 yard swim (half ironman distance), my first open water swim of the year, my fastest 5K time trial (6:52/mi average), and a few 8+ mi runs. I'm definitely putting in some serious volume, but knowing that this is the last chance I have to put some miles in before the race is helping my motivation! It seems like everything is coming together!  About time!!!

This weekend I have my FIRST RACE OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!  The 5150 Kansas City Triathlon will take place this Sunday, May 20th at Longview Lake.  I cannot wait!


I will be doing the Olympic Distance course, which consists of a 1.5km swim, 40km bike, and 10km run.  I was able to get into the water yesterday at the lake, and also rode a lap of the bike course. I'm hoping to get out there again on Thursday and Friday to ride a few more loops of the bike and run courses.  After that, I should be good to go!

Be back for my pre-race info for the KC Triathlon and what I'm going to try and shoot for! The race itself is going to be HUGE!  Big enough, in fact, to warrant a change to the bike course a week ago to make sure there is no vehicular traffic.  The last I heard, the totals were 1300+ for both the sprint and olympic races! That's a lot of peeps!

Have a great week, and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Rachel R said...

Thanks for the blog mention... I think YOU'RE a smarty pants!

So glad I have you to share my accomplishments with and watch you accomplish so many of YOUR goals... so fun to watch :)

And can't wait to watch you accomplish more goals at the Tri on Sunday!!! I'm read for your season to get started so I can be your biggest fan again!!!