Saturday, December 31, 2011

8 Things I've Learned in 2011

Yearly recaps are a very popular blog topic this time of year.  Not wanting to be left out, I too have been thinking about 2011. I've learned a ton this year.  Having completed my first full year in endurance sports, I've seen myself grow as an athlete, a competitor, and hopefully, as a person.  Here's a list of the top 8 things I've learned from my training and racing in 2011!

8:  Consistency!  I saw the best gains from my training this year when I was consistent.  I don't mean doing the same workouts repeatedly, or at the same time and place each day.  I mean doing SOMETHING each and every day. Training on a daily basis, and sometimes multiple times each day, can yield amazing results, but you really need to make it a priority to be consistent each week and month.  There were certainly times I would miss or skip a workout, and try to make it up later in the week. Sometimes this works, but mostly, it just tired me out the next week.  I would end up loading up the last half of the week, and would need an extra rest day after the long weekend volume.  Staying consistent in your rest/recovery and nutrition are also vital to making gains, and both are something I am continually working on. 

JCCC Indoor Tri
7:  Eating!  This is definitely something I've learned a lot about this year, in both racing and daily life.  What and how much you eat affects everything you do.  I like to eat.  I like to eat large volumes of food ( ie Thanksgiving). As I trained throughout the year, it was easy to have an extra helping at dinner or dessert, thinking, "hey, I just burned 1400 calories with that Brick workout.  I think I earned this extra 4 pieces of pizza..."  The problem for me is that this is usually a daily conversation I have with myself.  I am actually 5 pounds under my weight at this time last year, but I still think I need to re-evaluate my eating habits. This is going to be a goal for me in 2012, and something I will be addressing in the future.

I ate half of this...
I also learned that as you train and race, you need to have energy to keep you moving.  I never knew what "bonking" or "hitting the wall" was, until I did it one day.  Good Lord, it sucked... I quickly learned that I needed to bring a gel with me on longer runs, or sip some electrolyte drink on hot days.  Eating before and after workouts is also incredibly important! Getting my nutrition dialed in has helped me during training, as well as recovery from hard workouts.

6.  Plan your Season!  I never imagined that I would become instantly hooked on triathlons and endurance sports.  Honestly, I was never a fan of any of the disciplines, I just wanted a challenge.  As the year went on, I kept adding races, and really didn't plan my racing or training well.  Now is the time to get your next year planned!  Sign up for races early!  You get cheaper pricing, are able to train and taper correctly, and will have better results because of it!


5.  Stay Flexible!  Not only your body, but your life!  Stuff comes up, and unfortunately for 99% of athletes, triathlon is not your #1 priority.  Don't be afraid of a missed workout. For me, this was something that I really learned this year.  I really love the sport and enjoy the training, but I had to maintain a difficult balance between my work, school load, family time, and friends.  Sometimes, there was more than enough time to make everything work.  But usually, I had to really budget my time well.  Getting up in the morning to get a swim in sucks, but if it frees up your afternoon so you can spend some time with your girlfriend and doggie, then do it.  Just remember, there's always someone else out there that has more on their plate, and they are training right now....

Or convince your family to race with you!
4.  Cash MONEY$$$! Triathlon is not cheap.  Seriously.  It's probably one of the most expensive sports I can think of.  But, there are ways to make it more affordable.  Because I started this year, I had to purchase basically everything from scratch.  I bought a bike used on craigslist, rented my first wetsuit (now I own it :), bought my shoes on cheaper websites online, bought slightly used tri clothes on forums, and made due with the rest.   As the year went on, the race fees alone were expensive enough.  But over the course of the year, I had every basic need met!  

Love/Hate Relationship with this beast...
Some tips for making triathlon more affordable:  Buy used if possible, volunteer at races for cheaper race fees, shop online for the best deals, check out Groupons for bike service repairs, use holidays to ask for the more expensive options, and lastly, ask yourself "do I really need this?"  Yes, race wheels and aero helmets are bad ass, but you really don't NEED them.  Safe yourself some cash, put in the time during training, and "upgrade your engine".

3.  Triathletes are capable of amazing things!  FYI this has nothing to do with me.  But as I watched others at races, you see some pretty amazing feats of bravery and strength.  Whether it be the wheelchair participants at the Topeka Tinman in June, the 13 year old boy that beat me at Shawnee Mission Park, or Chrissie Wellington's amazing comeback to win at Kona, the sport continues to amaze and inspire.  It has opened new doors for me, and I can't wait to see what lies ahead!

2nd in AG @ SMP.  Pretty amazing...
2.  Support!  Triathlon is an incredibly individualized sport.  It's probably one of the main reasons I love it so much.  It's just me out there on the roads or in the water.  I am the one pushing myself.  But I also have an amazing amount of support when I get home or cross the finish line.  To be honest, it's one of the reasons I do it!  There is no way I could do this without the help and support of my family, friends, Rach, and fellow bloggers/athletes!  

Me and Mom post Tinman
1.  Triathlon is for everyone!  This sport is for everyone.  Every age, skill level, weight, height, etc etc. Before my first race, I was scared $h!tless... It must have been pretty obvious, because everyone around me helped calm me down, get me set up, and gave me advice for the day.  It was all helpful.  During the race, the competitive drive was evident in most, but I never experienced any rude behavior.  With New Years being tomorrow, and resolutions are getting set in stone, I can't suggest enough signing up for a triathlon and committing yourself to the goal.  There are multiple distances to choose from, not just an "ironman".  There truly is a distance for everyone.  Make a commitment, push yourself hard, and prepare yourself for one of the greatest accomplishments of your life!


2011 has been an amazing year, full of lots of changes.  I am so grateful to have found such a passion in Triathlon, something that I can challenge myself to limits I never knew were possible.  I am also grateful for my family, growing closer to Rach, and the opportunities that have come my way.  I truly cannot wait to see what 2012 has in store for me.

I wish everyone a happy and safe New Year!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: