Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bye Bye Bike Computer

As you may have read in my Tinman Race Report, my bike computer hasn't been functioning properly. I have literally gone step by step on the owner's manual for common problems, but can't seem to figure it out.  I have tried resetting it, measure the spacing for speed and cadence sensors; everything is right where it needs to be.  And yet still no speed, distance, cadence, etc.

Today, as I rode the bike to my swim workout, I uncovered the problem.  Let's go through my thought process, pic by pic:

Hmmm.... this seems to be working....

Rear tire looking okay... yup, that's lining up within 5mm....

That looks righ...oh.... wait....

Not to be a poopmouth, but damn....

Well, there's your problem!

So, yeah.  At some point between my arrival to the race and the race itself, I seemed to "lose" a fairly large segment (about 2 feet) of the wiring that connects my handlebar-mounted computer to the sensors for my speed and cadence.  Mystery solved.  The only problem is that I kinda like knowing my cadence, distance, speed, etc., when I'm training.  Kinda important info, ya know!?

My solution to the problem is a few weeks away.  I am HOPING to get my first Garmin watch for my B-day.  While the 310XT would be ideal for triathlons, I am going for the 305 because:  1. My parents are purchasing it for me (hopefully).  2. I live on student loans, and am hoping to also grab all the extras, like cadence for the bike, foot pod, bike mount, etc. 3. I am MOVING this weekend, and will probably be needing to by some stuff for the new place.  Eventually there might be a 310XT or something even newer in my future, but I would be fully content with the 305.  All I have to do now is figure out how to get my parents to read this.  Step 1:  A blog is.....


2 comments:

ScottyB said...

Dang it. I thought I cut the brake line!!! I wondered what happened...


Not to stoke the desire but I love my 310xt. I'd just leave it on the wrist from start to finish. Don't have to waste time in the transition moving from wrist to bike to wrist (if you don't leave it on the bike, that is).

Maybe suggest asking for the cash equivalent of the 305 for your birthday and use that towards the 310xt.

I love spending other people's money.

Mark said...

Haha, I knew it!

Yeah, every review about the 310XT has it by far the best watch for multisport, but its still just tough to pass up the 305 based on price. They are both really similar, I think I would be okay swimming with the 305, as it's good up to 1 meter for 30 min, but still. I'm actually just looking forward to training with pace...