Sunday, June 5, 2011

Unwanted Recovery Weekend

This weekend turned into a very unproductive training weekend, with possibly the worst timing possible. I went back to the Doc on Friday, mainly because I haven't had any improvements.  I talked more this visit to my doctor than the previous one, and I feel like I gave a better representation of what is going on. My doctor thought I was crazy from an exercise standpoint, and as he listened to the last few weeks of my training schedule, realized I may have 2 different infections.  So, she changed my meds, I took the weekend (and Monday...) off of training, and am finally seeing improvements!  Still not completely healed, but definitely a step in the right direction.  Unfortunately for me, I have missed some pretty important workouts the last week.  My volume is down bigtime, which I'm not too worried about, but I was REALLY wanting to get in the speed workouts I missed.  My "A" race for this year is on the 18th, and my taper starts Tuesday.  I am kinda bummed, thinking that I would be in top condition to race, and now I'm wondering if the days off will affect my race.  Oh well... I'm sure I will still win (hahahah!)

Tinman Course Preview:  Despite not training, I did get in some good race-specific re-con in!  I had a wedding in Topeka this weekend (a high school friend), so my GF and I took off Saturday morning, stopped at Dunkin Donuts for breakfast, and after a 45 minute wait in the drive-through (not joking...) headed to Topeka.  On the way to my parents' house, we checked out Lake Shawnee, and more importantly, the bike course.  I definitely wanted to ride it, and it kinda killed me to be driving it and seeing several different bikers out on the course, but it still was beneficial.  It looked pretty flat, LOTS of country roads, with some minor hills the last few miles.  I also glanced at the run course.  I thought it was pretty hilly, nothing too big, but constantly up and down, at least for the stretch I saw.

I can't wait!  This is going to be my homecoming race, and will be the first race my family will be at.  I think they will be pretty surprised, especially with the clothing, or lack there of...

And so it begins....  With my GF coming back home with me and going to a wedding with my family, wedding talk was kinda in the air.  It's not necessarily something I'm not ready for, but it is kinda funny to act like it's this crazy thing to talk about, especially with my Mom.  I guess my GF and Mom had a nice convo without me, and thought that I should "get it into gear" and "find a church".  Haha, it's funny to me, but I'm going to see how long I can hold out...


Despite the unwanted relaxation, this weekend was really nice.  It was good to see my family and hang out at my parent's pool with great weather, and just kept my mind off of what's been going on medically. I did some laps there, but it was pretty difficult to get into a groove. I needed to turn every 4 strokes... 


Not this weekend, but the first time I've seen my Dad in the pool! He's not a swimmer...








And I got Joe Friel's The Triathlete's Training Bible in the mail yesterday!  I have wanted to order it for awhile, and decided to when I purchased my summer text books online!  As if I didn't have enough reading... I hope to get through it fast and post a review of some sort soon!


Hope everyone had a great weekend, got some miles in, and is ready for the week ahead. Thanks for reading!




No comments: