Monday, June 13, 2011

Tinman Taper Week!

Taper week is finally here for the Topeka Tinman!  I can't wait for the race because it's my hometown, and my family will be there!  I'm hoping for quite the cheering section!  I will be heading back to Topeka on Friday to pick up my race packet and check out the run course!

I know, that guy looks creepy...

Although my taper "officially" started this week, it really started last week with all my medical issues.  I was "encouraged" by my Doc to take some training off, and I finally did after a few days of continued pain.  I am feeling much better now, but unfortunately I found out today that I have another issue: a torn cornea that is now infected!  AHHH!!!!  I just can't seem to catch a break lately. 

So, after a very, very painful week, I finally went to the eye doc today, got some antibiotic drops and some steroids for the eye.  Can you say PEDs for this weekend?!  Hope I don't get tested.... My eye has been tearing up constantly, and I had to explain to all my patients today that I wasn't crying. Some believed me, others lost a little respect...


Race Goals:  I originally had 3 main goals for this race: 
  1. Finish
  2. " " Under 1:14:00
  3. Run split of 21:00
While I think some of these goals are manageable, I still am going to adjust them accordingly.  Well, maybe not adjust, but I will not be as disappointed if I don't hit them because of my altered training schedule the last few weeks.  I'm still going to bring it (Tony Horton, I hate you...), and am excited to see what I run!


Training:  I did it!  5:00am workout this morning!  Okay, 5:10am, but still pretty good.  The gym was EMPTY.  It was kinda nice.  I am really going to need to fit in more early morning workouts the next month, so I am hoping I can keep this going.  I am going to get up for a ride tomorrow morning, and am excited about not having to deal with traffic ( I live in a fairly busy part of Kansas City). Although nice to get my day started, it does make for a long day at my clinical, especially after lunch.  I'm hoping some of my patients want nap time!


IM KS- CONGRATS TO ALL THE FINISHERS! And how classy was it for Chrissie Wellington to pass out medals after she killed the run?!  Awesome!

1 comment:

ScottyB said...

Good luck on Saturday! Hopefully we might have a chance to say Hi before/after/during!