Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Learning to tie my shoes...

I had an interval set on the training schedule today, and actually planned for it, for once.  Last night, I packed my gym bag, programmed the Garmin based on HR, and packed my lunch and post workout snack, as I was going to be tight on time between my class and the workout.  Today was my last day at my clinical (sad...), so I got a half day (happy!).  The plan was to head to the gym after a brief meeting with my school department concerning some minor research ideas for the semester (maybe a future post...). I quickly said my goodbyes at my clinical site, thanked everyone for putting up with me, and headed to school.

My meeting lasted a bit longer than I anticipated, so I rushed to find a parking spot near the gym, changed clothes, and was booking it up to the treadmill.

Now, this is my own fault, but I have a tendency of 'sliding' my shoes on.  Even my running shoes.  I leave the laces tied (probably from the first time I tried them on), and slip my foot in.  Today, this time-saving technique came back to bite me in the ass.

I was about 2.5 miles into my 7x800 interval set, when all of a sudden my foot slipped a little in my shoe, and I started experiencing a nice shot of pain every time my right foot hit the treadmill.  I attribute the slip entirely to my negligence of wearing loose shoes.  I know, idiot....

I stopped the run at 3 miles, and rushed into the shower to make it early to my class, which leads me to this exact moment, and also this simple piece of advice:

TIE YOUR SHOES BEFORE YOU RUN!

I hope everyone who reads this thinks, "well, duh....".

I am planning on relying on the sage advice my high school trainer told us, not matter the injury:  "Ice it down, and take some Advil."  Apparently this remedy is the cure-all treatment in high school sports medicine.  FYI: Doesn't work well with concussion...

I'm hoping not to have any new injuries, especially to my feet!  Kinda need them...

Random Tidbits:

  • A good friend and reader just got a job in Madison, WI.  Nice Job Rich!  If I ever plan on doing the Ironman there, I will be needing a place to crash!!!
  • No clinical = TWO-A-Days are BACK!  I'm actually pretty excited.  I am looking forward to incorporating some weight training into my schedule, as well as getting back in the pool once I get cleared by the eye doc.
  • I have TONS of ideas for blog posts. Get ready for some doozies!!! Whatever the hell that means...
  • The North Face Endurance Challenge is this weekend!  I am doing the 10K on Sunday with Rach, and my sister is doing the 5K!  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the blog-o-sphere! Been looking for a new post for a while

I started using Yankz for tying my shoes. So far no issue.

Also note... if it weren't for my trainer ride, I would have posted my Race Report within an hour of this post... continuing the streak.

Mark said...

Good to be back. Needed some extra time finishing projects at my clinical. But good now! And I have yanks in my "racing" shoes, just not the ones I usually wear. Those are sweet!