Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The North Face Endurance Challenge 10K Race Report!

The North Face came to town this last weekend to host the inaugural Endurance Challenge: Kansas City.  This was North Face's first attempt at conducting a road race, and Kansas City was lucky enough to be first in line! The 10K race is actually the first run-only event I have ever been in, and was especially nice because Rach, my sister Hayley, and Rach's sister Laura also raced! It was a family event!

The "ladies" pre race!
Pre-Race:
Woke up at 5:30am, and grabbed some quick food before heading out.  I had my typical race morning meal of oatmeal and OJ, along with a bottle of Gatorade.  We met up with Rach's sister and her husband before arriving to the Race Start.  We got there about 6:30am, to make sure we had enough time for my sister to check in. Once all checked in, we just waited around, watched the half marathoners take off, and went to check out the Johns.

This was only half of them! I have never seen so many thrones!
After a quick warm-up with Rach, we both got in line to start at 7:30am.  We arrived a bit late to the starting line, and had to settle for starting towards the back of the pack.

Run:
And we were off!  But watch out for a sprinkler head!  All I remember from the pre-race speech was to avoid an orange cone, which was over an "immovable" sprinkler head.  I wasn't paying close attention, and had to hurdle it.

Early in the race and having some fun! Thumbs up!
The Run itself felt great.  The course was in a hilly part of Kansas City, but I didn't think it was too overwhelming. The first mile I spent just trying to work my way out of the slower paced runners.  After I heard my Garmin beep for the first mile, I settled into a good 8:00 min/mile pace.  I tried to keep this on the flats and uphills, and hammered on the downhills.  I probably did more checking my pace then I wanted, but in the end I thought it made for a good training day.
My "Pimp" hand is weak...
I held my 8:00min/mile pace until I finished the 5th mile, at which point I cranked it up a bit.  The rest of the course turned out to be all downhill, and I was able hold a 7:25min/mile pace pretty easily.
Still having fun?
Time: 49:02/ 7:58 pace
AG: 16/58
Overall: 54/463

Race Goals: 

  • DO NOT AGGRAVATE FOOT:  MET! Felt great the entire time, and a few days post, still feels great! About to get some new kicks, too! (K-Swiss blade lights...)
  • Maintain Half Marathon Pace: Partially Met.... I maintained a slightly faster pace overall than I anticipated, but that was due to my faster last mile and finishing strong.  I was okay doing this because I felt good, and at least wanted to look like I was hauling at the finish!
  • Be smart at the start:  MET!  Almost too smart.... My pace the first mile was much slower than I wanted, but that was due to the crowd and poor planning on my part.  Next time I will start towards the middle.  Overall, though, I did a pretty good job of holding back my speed and imagining that I had more miles to do.  It helped alleviate some peer pressure.
  • PR:  Well, I finished, so PR!  Not too impressive, but I know I can do better, and would have.  I will make sure I get another 10K in at full tilt to see what I can do!!!
I will be back next year!
Overall:
Awesome, awesome, awesome race and festivities.  Every intersection was blocked by the KCPD (Thanks), everything well organized, cool swag, great post race activities, and an awesome course.  My only regret is not doing the half.  If the North Face decides to continue next year, I will definitely be participating in that! Congrats to Rach, Hayley, and Laura for a great race, too!  Hayley got 2nd in her AG! Awesome!

Rach and the lil sis!
  Thanks for reading, and hope you consider racing next year!

No comments: