Monday, October 10, 2011

Lessons from Kona

This year was the first time I have ever watched the Ironman World Championships live from Kona, HI.  While not televised on standard cable (which I still don't have), the race was broadcasted via the internet on Ironmanlive.com.  After my workday, I ran home and plopped down in front of my computer and began watching.  I was glued to the screen for the next 5 hours, watching a great race unravel.  Here's what I learned:


  • I have FINALLY figured out why athletes wear arm sleeves during the race.  I never understood this because it is crazy hot/humid in Kona.  Apparently, the triathletes continually spray the sleeves with water, which helps keep their core temperatures low.
  • The human body is capable of some amazing things.
  • Chrissie Wellington is a BEAST and apparently doesn't know how to lose. She had a bike crash 2 weeks ago, which has hindered her prep for the race.  I didn't think she would be able to make up the time from a slow swim and slow start to the bike.  She did, and is now 13-0 at the Ironman distance, including winning the Ironman World Championships 4 times.
  • WTC might possibly have the worst internet feed ever.  I know they were broadcasting from Hawaii, but mine kept going in and out.  But it was free (which might be changing, knowing how the WTC operates...), so I can't complain too much.
  • Apparently shoving ICE down your CROTCH is the best way to keep you core temperature down.  Can't wait to try that out!
  • Age is no excuse to not remain competitive.  Crowie (Craig Alexander) was the Men's Winner, set the course record, and at 38 years old, is the oldest IMWC winner ever.  I would have liked to see Chris Lieto win, as he's probably my favorite triathlete, but Crowie dominated throughout the day. 
  • A guy from Leawood was 4th in his age group.  CRAZY!!!
  • If you are considering a triathlon attempt, watch a previous World Championship race.  There is no way that you won't be inspired to train for one.  I can't wait for next year!

My last planned race of the year is this Saturday.  I can't wait.  It's going to be my first Half Marathon, and I am hoping for a great result! My taper has been great, and I am feeling ready!!!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: