Friday, October 28, 2011

Looking Back


Recently, I have been continuously thinking about my season, now that I have nothing planned on my schedule for 2011 (2012 is already going, though!).  I had so much fun, learned so much about 3 different sports, and met some really incredible people. While it’s been nice to think about the experiences I have had and the progress I made, I am finding that the self reflection could be useful in helping me decide my personal goals for 2012 (pros do it, I can give it a try).  This week, via the active.com weekly newsletter, I found an article structured around reflecting on your past season.  I’m not too big on pondering my “feelings”, but I am going to give it a go.  If it helps me come up with better goals (and results) for 2012, then I’m all for it.

In hindsight, were your season goals clear and attainable?
At the start of my season, I had no goals, other than finishing a triathlon.  I had no idea what training would look like, how I should structure my weeks, or how to implement strategy into racing.  Hell, I didn’t even have a bike!  As the season progressed, I kept wanting to try area races, so I signed up and gave it my all.  Again, my training was fairly unstructured, and had few goals, other than finishing.  While “finishing” a race is a great goal to have, my goals for next year will be much more specific and progressive.

What were you most proud of this season?
My first race! I had no idea what I was doing (other than swimming/biking/running a certain distance).  I was really nervous leading up to the race, and even considered opting out for a brief second.  The inexperience in that environment was both frightening and invigorating.  I made it through the race, despite nearly drowing in my first open water swim, and really can’t put into words the sense of accomplishment I felt.  This has pushed me to keep racing, training, and challenging myself.  I know that won’t change.

What frustrated or disappointed you the most this season?
I am a control freak.  It’s the main reason I want to be a researcher someday:  I get to control EVERYTHING in a study.  For triathlon, I tried to control as much as I could:  The amount I trained, specific workouts, nutrition (well, kinda...), and rest.  As my season went on, I encountered a few things that I couldn’t control:  Mechanical issues with the bike, weather, bad directions IN a race, and medical issues.  I learned an important lesson from these experiences:  Don’t let it ruin a race.  $h!t happens, laugh it off and keep going.

What habits seemed to hold you back from achieving your potential?
This is SOOO hard for me to write, but my diet... I like to eat.  A LOT.  I don’t think I am overweight at all (burning 1000 calories a day helps), but I think I could stand to lose a few pounds.  I could also stand to learn a little thing called SELF CONTROL.  Halloween has been rough... candy corn.... oh...... Regardless, I am going to set a specific race weight goal for myself next year, and will look at my caloric intake vs my estimated expenditure and make sure I am eating to coincide with my energy needs.

I also need to incorporate morning workouts.  Right now, my schedule is set for work and school, but it varies week to week.  Yeah, confusing... But,  I am consistently available to workout at 6:00am.  Imagine that.  Doing more workouts in the morning should help with missed workouts later in the day.  I have the drive to do them, I just need to DO THEM...

Lastly, I will be adding weight training this winter/spring, and hopefully 1 session per week during the race season.  I currently feel strong, but I can definitely tell a difference between this year and past years.  While I’m okay with giving up some strength to have improved success racing, I feel that strength training will help me stay injury free throughout the season, and give me some added power.  Can’t go wrong with that!

What decisions should you make in order to have your best triathlon year ahead?
Other than setting more achievable and specific goals, incorporating better nutrition, working out in the mornings, and weight training, I have realized the importance of having a good plan for your training.  I am now starting to understand the importance of structuring your year around periods for base, build, peak, taper, and race (Periodization. Check it out).  Since I am still learning about these processes, and want to focus on training right IMMEDIATELY, I got a coach! I can’t wait to see the structure pay out in faster times in 2012!

I'm stepping into new territory this winter and spring.  I will have a structured plan, specific goals for myself to reach, and an ever-increasing love and drive for the sport. I now fully view myself as a triathlete, not necessarily someone who has done a few triathlons.  I have big plans for next year, and can’t wait to get to work!

Wow... that seemed helpful...

1 comment:

Mark said...

I can relate to the nutrition struggles. My eating habits have been horrible the past 6 months and I really need to get it under control in the off-season. Curious to see how the coach works out. I've always considered that a luxury that I'm not willing to pay for, but then again, I don't really know how much it costs. Interested to see how worthwhile you think it is.