Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Training Rollercoaster

Last week was an up and down week on the training front.  Normally, I'm used to this.  Some days are good, some days are not so good, but all in all, I get through them.  Last week, I hit the extremes.


My current training block has me focusing on increasing power and strength on the bike, and speed and leg turnover on the run.  I am currently doing no swims, and am strength training 2 days a week.  The bulk of my interval training spans Tuesdays through Thursdays (back-to-back-to-back interval days), with a "rest day" on Friday consisting of strength training.  The weekends are somewhat usual, with a longer bike and transition run on Saturday, and a long run on Sunday.

Weekly Volume from last week.  Only 21 miles short on Saturday...
My Tuesday workouts I have been destroying.  I push hard and usually have a great workout.  Wednesdays I'm usually still on it, and have a great run.  But by Thursdays, I'm dragging.  This is where last week fell apart.

I took an extra day off,  on Thursday, and pushed my zone 5 interval ride to Friday.  It went well, and at the time, I was really glad I took the extra rest. In fact, the Friday ride was one of my better sessions to date!  I was feeling great, and was looking forward to my long ride and brick run on Saturday!

Saturday rolled around, and I was feeling pretty good.  I got on the saddle and started going, and immediately knew my legs were toast from the previous day.  I had multiple intervals of 15 minutes to get done, but knew my legs didn't have the strength.  After failing to reach zone 3 in my first interval set (ZONE 3 is basically a somewhat easy, sustained pace), I was done.  And pissed.  Deciding to skip the bike, I quickly threw on my run stuff and ran out the door in a huff for a short zone 3 transition run.  Again, I struggled to get to and maintain my zone 3 heart rate.  By the time I got back, I was fuming.

I RARELY cut workouts short, and when I do, it's usually due to an outside conflict.  Saturday was a bad day for me, and I truly don't think I've been that upset after a workout before.  It was all I could think about the rest of the day.  I was just frustrated and disappointed in myself.  Before going to bed, I told myself to let it go, because it is DECEMBER!  I had a longer run planned for Sunday, and told myself I was going to go out and kill it.

And that's exactly what I did!  It was my longest run since the KC Half Marathon in October.  I got 9 miles in, with 2 sets of 2 mile repeats at a 7:15 pace!  It was a great day, great weather, I saw a huge hawk/falcon, and finally got over my poor effort from Saturday.  I felt awesome!!!

mmmmBirdie! 
I still consider myself a new triathlete, but I am learning that you only have so much energy "in the tank."  I shouldn't be discouraged if I need to cut a workout short, or if my legs are feeling tired.  It happens, and is more than likely due to the previous workout and recovery.  Training has ups and downs, and you just have to roll with them.  After a crappy workout, take some time to rest, eat some food, and destroy your next workout!!!

I'm sure everyone out there has had similar times, whether it be with endurance training, work, school, kids, etc. etc.  Just get through the day, and come out fighting tomorrow!

I'd like to thank Steve in a Speedo for the shout-out/twitter love!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Mark said...

I'm a little bit confused. Are your zones speed zones, or HR zones? Usually if you're fatigued, your HR is going to be higher than expected for a given level of intensity (which leads me to believe you're referring to speed zones).

It's always best to listen to your body, so that was smart cutting things short when you knew you didn't have it. Looks like you're still getting in some solid training! (better than me, at least...)

Mark said...

They are HR zones, and with that training week/day, my muscles were fatigued to the point of not being able to move my legs fast enough to elevate my HR. No matter how hard I pushed, my heart rate wasn't increasing. Looking back now, I sorta wish I would have stuck with it for 15 more minutes, just to see if it would elevate any.

I wish I had a power meter because I feel that would be a better representation and way to measure my output, mainly because power would measure the entire physical output (I think), as opposed to just my cardiac output and linking that to my physical performance. But I'm sure that's what everyone wishes. And is also why they are so expensive!!!

Anonymous said...

You summed it up in a nutshell. "After a crappy workout, take some time to rest, eat some food, and destroy your next workout!!!" Sometimes you just have to listen to your body. There is no point pushing if there is nothing there cause all you are doing is reinforcing bad technique (cause you are tired) and as you found, getting yourself really frustrated. Having the ability to write off a bad workout and bounce back with a great one, shows character and heart. Often we learn more about ourselves through the not so good training days. Learning to cut ourselves some slack is an artform, just like cycling! ;) Keep up the great work - Simone :)

Mark said...

Thanks for the comment! I think you are right, and this week I've had some great training days! Hopefully it continues!