Monday, December 5, 2011

Mark's Christmas List!


For about the last month, I've been trying to figure out what I want for Christmas and put together a Christmas List (You're welcome, Mom).  Normally, I just try to find something kinda big that I sorta want or might see myself using in the future.  Examples from past years include: a Suit (classy), a heavy Peacoat (douchy), and a lifesize inflatable T-Rex (awesome). With this being my first Triathlon Christmas, I have PLENTY of ideas for my family and blog-readers!  Definitely a first for me!  Well, not really... Sidenote:  If anyone has an extra lifesize inflatable T-Rex you aren't using, I am interested.

This is how the last one popped... Oh Rex, I miss you...
The last few months, I have been keeping a list of things I need, as well as prioritizing the need for new things (New bike is needed, but NOT GOING TO BE HAPPENING this year.  Upgrading the "engine" instead).  Here is my up-to-date list for Christmas!  Please pass it along to Santa!

Wetsuit:  Last year, I rented a wetsuit for my first race, but ended up just going without one after.  There were some colder races that were wetsuit legal, but I just didn't use one.  This year, I am planning on up-ing my distances, as well as early season races, so I want to be sure I get a wetsuit for the added warmth and buoyancy.  I'm still trying to figure out whether I want a full sleeve or sleeveless. I am open for suggestions! Please help!


Goggles:  As I mentioned HERE, I am in need of some new goggles!  I am looking at getting a pair specifically for races, that have more of a tint then my "training" pair.  I kinda learned this the hard way last year, and staring into the rising sun made sighting a little bit difficult come race day.  Plus, it will be cool to have some more race-specific stuff!



Compression Sleeves: Although somewhat hesitant because of varying amounts of research and use, I am still anxious to try out a pair of compression sleeves for my calves!  My calves have been pretty sore after runs lately.  I am looking at mainly just using them after long runs to aid in recovery and delayed onset muscle soreness.  Most of the evidence I have read about encourages the use of compression garments to aid in recovery POST workout.  So that's what I'm planning on doing!  I have my eye on a pair from Sugoi, and can't wait to review them! 

Sugoi's Pison 200 Calf Sleeves

Race Entry Fees:  Self explanatory for a triathlete!!! And now is the time to buy, with most of the races for next year in Early Bird pricing!  The early bird gets the cheapest race!  I have already booked several races for next year (schedule will be announced oh so soon...), but I REALLY have my eyes set on one race I still need to register for, in particular.  I hope I get it, I'm kinda structuring my season on it...!


2012 Teaser?
New Saddle:  I have been hitting the trainer/bike hard the last month, which has brought one important detail to the surface of my mind.  Well, actually the surface of my ass:  My seat sucks.  I have a rigid aluminum bike frame, which makes every bump and crack in the road noticeable in my "areas".  On the trainer, I am also really starting to notice a distinct "numbness" in the aforementioned "areas".  Not good.  Especially for 2 hours.  My solution is a new saddle!  I have been scouring reviews and personal suggestions, and have settled on the ISM Adamo Race saddle.  And boy, does it look different!  But I have heard only great things, and can't wait to try it!  Regardless, I am 100% sure it will be an upgrade!


Aerobar Hydration Bottle:  Now that I have some aerobars, I figure I can also get a water bottle that goes right between them!  My thinking is if I have to stare at the bottle, I'm probably going to hydrate, which is a good thing!  I have done some research on the wind tunnel testing for a few different bottles and straws, and have learned that the long straw hanging out isn't exactly aerodynamic.  So, I am looking at one with a shorter straw! It's made by Torhans, and is a bit more expensive, but has much less drag!  
Made by Torhans, short straw = more aero!
Bike Fit: I am somewhat hesitant to put this in here, but it is something I need and will be getting regardless.  Next year, I want to have an injury free race season.  I also want to be as powerful and comfortable as possible on my wreck bike.  As I transition to some longer races, I know fit and comfort are going to be incredibly important to race day experience and results.  I am looking at making sure I have my aerobars and seat in the correct position for me, and will hope to get some measurements for a new/dream bike.  Ahhh someday...

Well, that's it!!!  Not TOO bad.  I mean, I could have mentioned the new Quintana Roo Illicito with Shimano Di2 components, but that wouldn't be practical.  Or possible... 

If I sold my car...
Regardless, whether I get any of these wonderful things or not, I will still be making due next year and racing my ass off!  I can't wait!  Now all I have to do is be a really good boy till December 25!  Do-able? Sure!!!

Classes end this week for me, with a final project due next week (Boo Statistical Regression). I am planning a few product reviews that I will get out in the coming weeks.  And I have added another sponsor for 2012!!!  Check back soon for info!!! It's a good one... I guarantee you've heard of them...

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

RFalkenrath said...

Hopefully you already signed up for Rock the Parkway and KC Tri. Since KC Tri got bought by WTC to be a 5150 event, you can bet it will NEVER be cheaper than the $50 for early bird that already ended...

Wetsuits, XTERRA. Affordable and durable. Had mine for 3 or 4 seasons and only one rip due to putting on and pulling off. They run specials for $100 for sleeveless and $150 for full all the time. Just sign up for their newsletter.

Not selling my bike, but selling planet X 82/101 wheel set. Pro glued tires and cassette on already. Just buy, slap on and ride! ;)

Mark said...

Yeah, already registered for both. $50 was unreal. Hoping to qualify for Hyvee. I looked into xterra, but I'm probably going to go another route, based on discounts. and a wheelset may be next year. They would look ridiculous on my bike right now... haha

Jon Bohnsack said...

Make sure you try the adamo saddle first. The Trek store let me take the demo for a week, and i did not like how it felt. I really wanted to like it, but it did not feel right to me.