Monday, November 7, 2011

Suspension Trainer Circuit Workout for Triathletes

Last week, I described how a suspension trainer could be a beneficial piece of home exercise equipment for athletes, and how easy it is to make one yourself!  If you missed the post, tisk tisk! It can be found here!

I also briefly mentioned a killer circuit workout I have been using and developing with my own suspension trainer.  Each workout has been slightly different, with a different exercise thrown in the mix to try.  That's the great thing about suspension trainers:  they are quickly and incredibly versatile!

Mark's Circuit:
12 exercises
15 repetitions each
2-3 "cycles"
Rest: 2 minutes after each cycle.  Other than that, go as quickly as possible to the next exercise WITHOUT rest.


1. Swimmer's Pull: 
Video can be found HERE (Start at 0:45)


2. Single Leg Lunge:
Video can be found HERE (Start at 0:50)


3. High Row:
Start
End
Video can be found HERE


4. Chest Press:
Start
End
Video can be found HERE


5. Rotator Cuff "W's":
Start
End
Video can be found HERE (Start at 1:00)


6. Sprinter's Start:
Video can be found HERE (Chris Lieto, You are welcome!)


7. Bicep Curls:
Video can be found HERE


8. Tricep Extensions:
Video can be found HERE


9. Atomic Pushup:
Video can be found HERE


10. Hamstring Curl:
Video can be found HERE


11. Plank:
Hold Position 30-60 seconds
Video can be found HERE


12. Pike:
Start
End, and please don't do this on your head (terrible picture....)
Video can be found HERE

One comment and suggestion for all the exercises:  Make sure you are making it challenging for yourself.  Do the exercises at a controlled pace, adjust the straps (either lengthen or shorten) to give you the right amount of resistance, and make sure you have a challenging placement for your feet (closer usually means easier.  But not always...)

That's it!  Good luck getting through it a few times.  If you are going quick enough, it should be pretty tough!  And like I said, I usually may add one or two extra exercises (focusing on my old lady hips).  But overall, I think it's a great full body workout!

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

RFalkenrath said...

I think you need to make a video of you trying your home made rig!

Mark said...

1 rep, of each exercise, as fast as possible, back to back to back, etc. I think I could be done in under a minute... oooh man. I might be able to make Speedo Steve's friday funny...