Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Zone 5: You have got to be kidding me...

Ever since I started training with Enduralabs, I have been using Heart Rate zones to base my training and intensity on.  I have previously been going off of my perceived exertion and pace from my Garmin 305.  I have done a lot of reading on HR training, which I won't get into, but I really have liked it so far.  It helps me gauge how intense my training is, and allows me to recover properly with some runs/rides.  I have been doing TONS of intervals on my trainer, and usually have 2 runs a week with some type of interval thrown in.  Most of these have been in zone 4, or the second highest zone.  I really have to push hard to maintain my heart rate in zone 4, and have really like bringing the intensity. 

Today, however, called for my first experience in zone 5.  4x 2.5 minute intervals in zone 5, to be exact.  I was DYING!!!  I didn't think it would be that hard to maintain the high HR for only 2 and a half minutes, but I was wrong!!! I just closed my eyes, and tried to pedal through the pain! I was definitely in the "Hurt Box".  Tough stuff, but I know it's going to pay off!

Tonight, I went for an easy zone 2 run.  I didn't get out until after I worked with a group online on a project for school, and ended up leaving the house around 9:00pm.  Normally, I would be kinda bummed leaving so late.  It's cold, dark, and really all I want to do is watch old episodes of New Girl on Fox (Check it out, kinda hilarious).  Tonight was different, though!

I stumbled upon a winter wonderland!




There was an ENTIRE neighborhood decked out in lights, going up and down about 8 streets.  I was quite surprised, but I thought it was kinda cool running through the neighborhood!  I felt like I was in the movie Elf or something!  At least Christmas lights will get me out of the house for my runs!  Well, until Christmas, that is.  

Hope you are having a great week!  Thanks for reading!

No comments: