Monday, January 2, 2012

2011 Training Totals

307 hours, 41 minutes, and 30 seconds.  That's the amount of time I spent exercising in 2011, according to my training logs.  This is kind of astounding to me.  This looks like a ton of time, but in reality, it's 'only' about 13 days.  13 days out of 365 doesn't seem to be too over the top, at least to me.


225 hours were spent specifically swimming, biking, and running.  During these hours, I covered a total of 2,535.25 miles.  This is equivalent to me swimming, biking, and running to Phoenix, AZ and back home to Overland Park, KS. And I'd still have ~150 miles remaining, just in case I got lost!

Tolls? NOOOO!!!
While I am really happy with the totals, I really could honestly care less.  I never had any goals this year based on mileage or time spent training.  Besides, 70% of the totals came after May.

Next year, I will have some somewhat specific totals I would like to attain, but not based on mileage.  I am now understanding that pace and intensity drastically influence your mileage totals.  I am planning on increasing the mileage a lot, but I would rather have quality workouts (consisting of specific goals and intensities), than quantity workouts (run or bike for a LONG time...).

The plan next year is to almost double everything, especially my swim time.  I don't think doubling my run time is necessary, or safe, but I do want to increase the frequency of my runs earlier in the season. And I'm getting my wish early.  I start a running-focused training block today!

I hope 2012 is off to a great start for you!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job Mark!

Mark said...

Thanks Jeff, trying to catch up to you!