Sunday, January 22, 2012

Short Shorts and a Long Run!

Yesterday, temps were in the 10s and 20s.  Today, temps were in the 40s and 50s.  Welcome to Kansas.

With the nice temps, I was really excited to head out for a long run along the Indian Creek Trail in south Kansas City.  I usually head north on the trail, but decided to head south today, into a nice and steady headwind. I love running along the trail, and enjoy the landscapes.  However, I do not enjoy jumping every time I hear a squirrel rustling in leaves... I did a long out and back, with some half mile and mile repeats to start out with.

A partially frozen creek! And I didn't drop my phone in!!!

Since the weather was nice, I just headed out in shorts and a long sleeve shirt.  Before I left, I had to snag a pair of shorts out of the dryer.  For some reason, the static electricity in the shorts was causing some "issues" while on the trail.  They kept creeping further and further up my legs, to the point where I thought I'd be flashing some oncoming runners a little more than my white and hairy thighs....  It reminded me of one of my favorite bloggers, Steve in a Speedo!

Looking good, Steve!

The trail was pretty busy with runners and walkers.  Every time I saw someone coming, I basically had to hold the ends of my shorts down with my hands.  I'm sure it made for some comical relief for the oncoming runners.  Hey, I'm always happy to do that!

The run, despite my wardrobe issues, went really well!  It was the longest run I've done since my half marathon training in October, and fit in just under 10 miles in 85 minutes!  My legs (and hip) felt pretty good throughout the run, even with the intervals!  I was really relieved, and hope all the stretching and strengthening I've been doing is paying off!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: