Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday's Semi Long Run

With school in full swing already, I took advantage of my morning off work and school by getting some ever-growing homework done, and heading out for a semi-long run before work! Yeah!!! That never happens...

The training plan called for an hour run today, with a few half mile and mile repeats at around a 7:15/pace. No problem, right?  Hmmm.... wrong.  My legs were feeling it WELL before the run started.  Actually, I really noticed they were pretty sore as soon as I stepped out of bed.

The fatigue is probably from the long run Sunday, but might be due to swimming.  I've finally made it back into the pool this week, after a 3-4 month layoff.  Yeah, I know... shame on me.... Future post: "how to not lose your swim fitness" where basically I will tell you to not do what I did....

Okay, back on track.  My legs were pretty fatigued, but after a few cups of coffee, an ample breakfast, and a couple hours of studying, I was ready for a stroll in the park.  I headed to the Indian Creek Trail, where I did Sunday's run, and headed south.

It looked like it was about to rain when I got there.  Temps were in the low to mid 30s, so a bit brisk, but after a couple repeats, I was getting a bit warm.  There was literally no one out on the trail.  I was kinda surprised.  This weekend, it was bumpin' (like da clubz).  I guess everyone was working, after all, I was on the trail at 10:30am on a Wednesday.

I even ran to another CITY!!!

To avoid my wardrobe issues from Sunday's run, I chose to wear some tights.  Like Robin (in da) Hood! Ohhh!

Don't be impressed... I stuffed socks in my tights to give the illusion of calf muscles....

This prevention technique worked with great success.  It also kept me quite warm during the run.  But, it did come at a cost.

My inner monologue:
"Mark,  dude (yes I say dude), you are wearing tights..."
"Inner Mark, I know brahhh.  I can't keep flashing people.  I'm pretty sure that sort of thing is frowned upon..."
"Girls wear tights. I'm pretty sure those are Rach's..."
"Uh tons of manly men wear these things.  Superman, Batman, Spiderman"
"All fictional characters"
"Apollo Ohno.  That dude just ran the New York City Marathon, according to every Subway commercial I have seen since November...Uh, and there was no tag in these, so how do I know?"

This goes on for awhile.

Anyways, I had a great run, and was able to "rollercoaster" split my 3 1mile repeats.

Mile 1: 7:12-----Low
Mile 2: 7:18-----High
Mile 3: 7:13-----Low

Yeah, not negative, but I'll take it.  I got in just under 8 miles in a little over an hour!  That's already 25 miles ran this week! Alright!!!

My "8 Miles in Before Working" face
I had pretty good timing, too.  As soon as I got to my car, it started raining!

Hope everyone is kicking some ass this week. I'm just taking names....

Thanks for reading!

No comments: