Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Half Ironman Training: Week 1

My "Off Season" is officially over.  Quotations are necessary because it wasn't much of an off season.  I got a ton of specific work done on the bike and on the run, and I'm pleased with my progress!  The 12 week block kicked my ass most days, but in a good way!  I now have a great base fitness to build on, which will be happening throughout the remainder of the winter and spring.  Starting this last Monday, the volume will be going through the roof....

As Dwight Schrute would say,.......


Yes, Dwight.  Indeed it is...

Changes for me shall include:

  • Workouts will no longer be somewhat optional.  Not that they were to begin with, really...
  • Early morning workouts will be happening... NOOOO!!!! I'm committing myself to 3 a week. I can do this!
  • Focus each workout as it would pertain to a race (negative splits, Mark...)
  • Swimming!  Yeah, I'm getting back in the pool to flop around!  Cuhrazy!
  • Cut back on some resistance training, but increasing the foam rolling to aide in recovery.  Ouch....
The first week in my plan resembled the previous few weeks of training, but I added my first swim in over 3 months!  The swim itself did. Not. Go. Well.  I didn't drown (that's a plus), but I was barely moving.  My splits were pretty sad, but I knew the speed would be gone after the layoff.  Now I get to work on getting it back....

My overall week, however, was great!  I got in every workout, and was pleased with paces/speed/intensity throughout my runs and rides!  


I got in my first double digit run of 2012 (10 milezzz), and fit in the largest amount of run volume since late August!  

I'm hoping the consistency stays with me, but I know it won't.  And I'm okay with that.  I just want to make sure I get in what I can, without hurting my school/work/home life.  Ahh, let the 'real' balancing act begin....

Thanks for reading!

No comments: