Friday, September 23, 2011

Cerner KC 15K Pre-Race!

Sooo.... I have a race tomorrow....  This kinda snuck up on me a bit.  This week has been pretty crazy, as far as my schoolwork load, but I am actually pretty pumped for the race!  I have had a great September so far with training, and am looking to see what I can do this last race before the KC Half Marathon in October!

I swung by Livestrong Park to pick up my packet today, as I am expecting it to be pretty crowded tomorrow morning.  Pickup was uneventful, as I was the only person there at 1:45 pm.  The bag itself was "lacking" in some of the usual goodies, like samples/gels/coupons.  In fact, the only thing worth mentioning was a $50 "gift card" to the most expensive hotel in Kansas City.  Probably something I won't be using (if you want it, it's yours... GIVEAWAY! haha).

The shirt was pretty cool, and had a similar design to the Topeka Tinman one I got back in June.  I am a sucker for the free tee!

The Shirt!  And it's TECH!!!
Race Goals
The goal for tomorrow is simple:  I'm treating everything the same way as I would the half.  Same nutrition, same pace, same hydration, everything.  But here are some specifics...
  • Maintain an average pace of 8:00/mile.  I'm not going to get too hung up on this, as I think it is definitely manageable, but I still want to "feel" like I could hang on for 4 more miles. I never tapered for this at all, so if I need to slow the pace, I will, but at the same time I want to push and maintain.  And I want a strong finish at the end!!!
  • Keep foot under control:   Yes, my right foot is acting up again. This same thing happened RIGHT before the North Face 10K, and I still managed a good time and result.  It again started hurting during my intervals, and I will probably get it checked out soon.  I will be trying a metatarsal foot pad to help limit some of the impact. 
  • Keep Nutrition in Check:  For the half, I'm planning on taking 2 gels and gatorade the first 9 miles, then water after.  So for tomorrow, 2 gels, gatorade, and see if I can stomach any water.
  • Enjoy the run!:  Tomorrow is supposed to be great, weather wise, and I am excited to get a good run in! I am hoping to meet some fellow BTers there, as well as seeing some coworkers! Plus, little Max will be making his first trip to a race! Yeah!
Max's Race day "outfit".  Like the socks?  He doesn't...
I hope you enjoy the weekend, and check back here soon for a report! Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Tim Hibbard said...

I'll be there too. Good luck!

RichieDubya said...

Poor Max...

Mark said...

Nice race Tim!

And Rich, that wasn't my choosing...