Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Handy New Tool

A few weeks ago, I purchased a set of new training tires that happened to be on sale.  I was pretty pumped, because my rear tire was looking dangerously thin.  The last 2 training rides outdoors has resulted in 2 flats.  After the last flat, I had had enough, so I was lucky to find the tires at a good price.  As soon as they arrived, I "tried" putting the new ones on my wheels.


I have changed tires/tubes before, but I wouldn't say I'm a pro yet.  It still takes me about 10 minutes, but all in all, I get it done without pinching the tube.  That was until I tried the new set.

These tires were IMPOSSIBLE to get on.  The front tire I previously had on my wheel was pretty tight, to the point of using a tire iron to get the tire on the wheel.  But, it still went on.  I tried everything I could think of for the new set.  I used tire irons, heating up the tires in the sun, using soap to 'ease' the tire over the lip of the rim of the wheel, all to no avail.  The new tires have a kevlar component to the rubber, which made it tough to get it over the lip without pinching the rubber tube on the rim lip.

Three tries, all unsuccessful...
After pinching 3 tubes without being able to get the tires on, I went online to search for a solution.  That's when I found this:

Image retrieved from Gear.com

This is called the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack, and after reading some reviews, I decided to give it a try (it was about $9).  Basically, the tire jack pulls the edge of the tire over the lip of the rim, without pinching the tube underneath.  I tried doing this with a tire lever, but I was unable to generate the force needed to pull the tire over the rim.


Tire and tube on wheel, and fully inflated!  Success!
I need to clean....
I am pleased to say that it worked!  I mainly wanted this because I was really concerned with flatting out on a ride and being unable to change my tube without having to run home.  I can take the jack with me on the ride, and pop the tire back on once the tube is changed or repaired.  I hope my tires loosen up a bit with some riding, but if not, I know I can now quickly change them!

If you ever have a hard time changing tight tires, I would give the bead jack a try!  It worked for me!

Thanks for reading, and GO CHIEFS!

Lazy Sunday...

1 comment:

Mark said...

I actually just changed the tires on my tri bike for the first time EVER last month. I've been lucky enough to never flat on it during a ride. Oddly enough, when I went to get my bike from the garage one day, my rear tire had suffered a catastrophic blowout...while hanging in my garage. Right. I struggled pretty bad at first with getting the tires on (it seemed like there was no way it was going on), but after a few practice runs, I get it on now without too much trouble. That still looks like a handy little tool though.