Thursday, July 21, 2011

A little treadmill love...

If you are in the middle of this insane heat wave hitting the midwest, than the title may be applicable to you, as well as me.  If you aren't, I would really appreciate a plane ticket to wherever you are...


The last week here in Kansas has been brutal, about as bad as any summer stretch that I can remember.  What's worse is that there is no end in sight.  This is probably great weather for those training for Kona, but that does not include me.  I have been waiting till the evening to run outside because of air quality warnings in KC, but the heat index is still high.  On Tuesday, I was heading home from my clinical at 9:30pm, and the temperature (NOT HEAT INDEX) was 95.

Instead of dying in the heat, I have really been getting to know the treadmill at my new apartment complex.  If you haven't noticed on my BT training log, I have been transitioning into the running season a little early (I will be explaining that in a later post). Surprisingly, I think runs have been going pretty well.  I normally despise the treadmill.  It's just so boring, running with nothing to look at.  Saturday, I was on there for 90 minutes, and I wasn't too bored.  I definitely wished I was outside running, but didn't think it would be safe when the heat index was 110.

A few things I have begun to appreciate about the "dreadmill":
  • Steady and controlled pace.  
  • A/C while running.  Hell yeah!
  • Able to "simulate" hills, although not the downhills.
  • Able to concentrate on form more
  • Easily accessible hydration
And a few things I hate:
  • Have fun looking at a wall for the next hour...
  • The simulated hills are not exactly 'real world' applicable
  • You usually don't run at a constant pace.  You speed up and slow in a race depending on terrain.
  • My treadmill limits runs to 30 minutes.  So every 30 minutes I have to reset the speed, remember the distance, and continue to add times and distance in my head for the remainder of the run.
  • My sweet Garmin watch is basically useless.  I haven't got the footpod yet, so I just use the watch for HR.  But if I forget to turn off the GPS, I get freaky maps...

Overall:  At least here in KC, I would say it is much safer to run on the treadmill with a heat index above 100.  What bothers me the most is the air quality warnings outside.  Inside = safer air to breath.  Well, hopefully.  I still plan on doing my recovery runs outside, regardless of the temps because they are short and less intense.

Random note:  Rach and I are puppy shopping.  We won't be getting a "little guy" until the first part of August, but here is a pic from us "researching" potential candidates.

Nice shot of my inflamed Patellar tendon
Since we live in an apartment, we are going with a smaller breed.  This little guy is a "Morkie."  We were thinking he looked like a "Dwight." Any suggestions for breeds?  Names?



No comments: