Monday, July 18, 2011

The North Face Endurance Challenge- Kansas City

As most of the Kansas City area runners already know, The North Face is sponsoring a series of races late this August (I'm already envisioning the race tee...drool....).  Although the races are in their first year here, they are sure to fill up fast!  Earlier this month, ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes was in town for a run with some peeps and to pump up the race for The North Face.

courtesy of Proteinpower.com
If you are unaware of who Dean is, the guy is a freak, a legend, and an inspiration to any endurance athlete.  This guy has done it all, 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days, ran from San Francisco to New York City, and has gone 6.8 seconds in a 1/4 mile drag race ( I will be adding the last one to his Wikipedia page after I get done with this, but seriously the first 2 are true...).  Although I was unable to meet up with Dean and a crew of runners when he was in town (thanks again, clinical!), it definitely got me pumped for the race!


Since my longest running event to date has been a 5k after a swim and a bike (triathlon duh), I signed up for the 10k race on August 28th.  I am starting to train for the KC Half Marathon in October, and figured this would be a great lead up race with quite the crowd.  As my training advances, I may end up switching to the Half-Mary.

The Details:  


Race:  August 27, 2011:  50K, Marathon, Marathon Relay
           August 28, 2011:  Half Marathon, 10K, 5K


                                     Price:
Distances:                   Before 7/26        7/27-8/21         Packet Pickup            
    5K:                            $30                      $35                      $55
   10K:                           $40                      $55                      $75
   Half Marathon:             $65                      $80                      $100
   Marathon Relay:          $200                    $225                     $250
   Marathon:                    $75                      $90                      $110
   50K:                            $75                      $90                      $110

The #Swag (hashtag not included):  

  • Finisher's Medal
  • Finisher GORE-TEX Water Bottle
  • Snacks
  • Great Experience!

Anyone racing the 5K or longer will also receive a North Face Technical Shirt.  If these rival their fleeces I was SO into during my Undergrad years in Lawrence, I am sure to love these too! 

If you are interested in registering, you should go HERE!  It's going to be a great race, and hopefully KC gives the North Face a great turn out!  Registration is currently still open, but will be getting close to filling up right before the race, so don't wait!

Let me know if you are racing via comments or Twitter, I would love to say hello!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does look like a great race!

Mark said...

Hey...I didn't give permission to post my picture! Oh, wait...that's Dean. We get mixed up all the time. rrrrriiiiiiiiight.

Hopefully that race isn't too hot. I'll be curious to see what you think of it.