Friday, July 8, 2011

Shawnee Mission Triathlon Preview and Prep

Had a good day at my clinical!  My supervisor is awesome, she is an avid cyclist and MTBer, and brought me some replacement cleats for my shoes and a couple of new tubes she got from her friends at BikeSource!  I love free stuff, thanks Laurie for the hookup! It definitely got my weekend off to a great start!  I work tomorrow, which is a downer, but on the upside, RACING SUNDAY!


Although not an "A" race, I'm actually getting really excited for the race.  Word on the street is that it is sold out, around 700 crazy people expecting to race!  I know the organizers are probably ready to get the race in, especially after the weather interrupted the completion of the race the last 2 years.  As of today, Sunday is going to be clear with a high of 98!  HOT!  I'm getting excited to tackle the Dam Hill some more. My legs are fully recovered from Scott and I's bike re-con a few weeks ago!  

Packet Pickup-  I went to the Friday pickup at BikeSource, mainly because I work tomorrow and would have missed the pickup at the Park.  I normally like to go to the pre-race meeting with the race director, but just won't be able to swing it.  Packet pick-up was pretty uneventful, other than the guy haggling about the $10 race insurance because he didn't have a USAT membership. They were having a drawing for some things there that racers were able to sign up for.  I entered and am hoping for some ZIPP Race Wheels!  Walked around briefly, Rach checked out some expensive bikes, and I daydreamed about my future Cervelo P4 WHICH they didn't have. Only 3 Tri bikes in the entire place, and all were Specialized...

Packet was standard, except for the sweet tattoos to be worn for the race!  No more waiting to get marked up on race morning!!!  The shirt was TECH, color was bluh, but better than the Heritage Park one from this year.  Also appreciated the Jar Opener (Purple thing below). Random, but thanks Coventry Health!

Race packet, minus the small bag of popcorn... I feasted...
Gettin' some ink Saturday night!
Race Goals:  This may be the first race where I am planning somewhat conservatively, as far as my anticipated goals and pace goals for the race.  It's hard to go off of the Tinman race, especially for the swim (definitely shorter than a 400), and the bike (just read my race report...)  Add decreased training, and I am on my way to an average race.  My biggest goal is to use the Garmin at the race without completely ruining it.  Okay, not my biggest goal, but still important.

Swim:  500 yards, and judging from the race course, it's going to be a 'J' course.  I would like to get the swim done in 8:00, and I think is pretty doable.  My heat is second to last to go, starting at 8:00am, which is an hour after the first heat starts.  Warming up might be an issue...  I will also have to plan on dodging some slower swimmers from the groups in front of me.  Just hoping to get into a groove early and not have too high of a heart rate heading into the bike.

Bike: The plan on the bike should go as follows:  Lap 1:  Get up the dam hill, leave some in the tank, and hammer the downhills.  Scotty and I hit 41mph at one point, and I will be trying to hit that mark again.  Lap 2:  Hammer down, all the way.  I am planning on getting out of the saddle for the second go around with the HILL, although there is still quite the incline for the next mile.  I'm guessing the bike course is going to be PACKED, just hoping not to get hit or be hit.  Time: 31:30.

Run:  I haven't ran the course, but know I have to get up the Hill one more time.  I am guessing it's going to be a tough run.  I am going to push for a 7:30 min/mile average.  And a strong finish! Time: 18:00. 

Transitions:  3:00, some extra time putting on the watch at T1!

Total Time: 1:00:30

Screw that. Under an hour!  Let's do this!!!!


3 comments:

Mark said...

Good luck on Sunday! Make sure you get that Garmin turned on before you exit transition pre-race. You don't want to be waiting on it to lock satellites during T1.

Mark said...

Thanks for the advice. It's usually pretty quick linking to the satellites, but that would suck!

ScottyB said...

Assuming the setup is similar to KC Corporate Challenge, I think the one important thing they will say at the meeting today is the reason for the 25 minute delay between long/short starts is they will remove half of the long course buoys once all long course participants make it through. So don't freak out when you show up and not see any short course buoy routes :).

The other thing is that the run and bike course cross at the top of the dam hill... bikes have the right of way but I doubt they will be going very fast!

Good luck and see you tomorrow. Race Bib #202.